Job Title: Employee Relations Specialist
Company Name: MHMR Tarrant County
I) Job PurposeThe Employee Relations Specialist is part of the Employee Relations team reporting to the Managing Director of Human Resources. The Employee Relations Specialist will advise, guide, and coach MHMR Tarrant corporate people managers on employment matters including policy interpretation, HR procedures, employee conflicts, engaging employees, performance management, and employee transitions within and/or out of the company. The Employee Relations Specialist will also conduct investigations into Employee Relations (ER) matters focusing on employee complaints, advising employee relations team on termination and coaching, and applicant/employee complaints. The Employee Relations Specialist will partner with the Employee Relations Team and Managing Director of Human Resources to ensure a fair and consistent approach to policies and procedures, thus promoting a positive ER culture within the business. The Employee Relations Specialist will work closely with Executive team, Talent Acquisition, Total Rewards, Benefits, Employee Relations Team, and Business Leaders.
II) Essential Functions
1. Coach and advise managers via phone to provide resources and guidance when complex workplace issues arise among employees or between employees and managers, especially at key points of the employee life cycle such as performance management, leaves of absence, internal job changes, and end of employment.
2. Conduct high-volume investigations, including time falsification, theft of company property, customer or competitor behavior complaints, employee complaints, and applicant/employee complaints, and other areas as needs arise.
3. Ability to listen well, understand root causes of a situation, then provide exceptional guidance and coaching to leaders on how to proceed.
4. Knowledgeable of employment law; must be up-to-date with current Employee Relations legislation. Strong negotiation and influencing skills with proven success in influencing employees at all levels of the organization in a consultative manner.
5. Highly collaborative in working with key stakeholders to develop solutions that drive measurable results.
6. Excellent verbal and written communication skills Excellent analytical ability. Independent judgment and decision-making skills.
7. Well-organized and able to successfully handle several priorities simultaneously.
8. Ability to use modern workplace technology (e.g. IP phones, video conferencing, etc.) and software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, etc.
9. Performance standards are performed as applicable with MHMR’s We CARE values “We Connect People in Our Community. We Provide Access to Services. We Link People to Resources. We Empower People.”
10. Professional tasks of managing directors calendars, overnight accommodations related to travel and flights, tracking expenses.
11. Tracking Legal case details
12. Other clerical duties as they may be assigned and perform other job duties or responsibilities as requested or assigned.
III) Knowledge of Laws, Regulations, Policies/Procedures, Skills, and Abilities
- Risk Management - Identifies and constructively challenges policies and practices that produce legal, regulatory, and/or ethical risks to the business or employees. Facilitates the discussion, planning, and implementation of actions to mitigate potential risks.
- Managing Investigations - Expertly conducts investigations of policy violations according to company process, company policy, and federal and state law; reaches the proper conclusions based on all pertinent factors; thoroughly documents findings; manages communication of decisions and outcomes with management and employees.
- Consulting - Consults and contracts to manage client and manager expectations, stakeholder needs, and partner deliverables.
- Coaching - Listens patiently and provides meaningful counsel and advice to business leaders, peers, and colleagues.
- Tracking Legal issues and billing
- Administrative tasks as assigned
IV) Internal & External Customer Service
- This position requires extensive internal and external contacts with all levels of management and field personnel. The employee will accomplish this with advanced written and verbal skills.
- External: Vendor management and technical personnel, consultants, and personnel from other MHMR offices.
- Internal: Executive Management, Senior Management, MHMR Staff
V) Travel Travel between facilities for events and meetings as needed. This position may require temporary or permanent re-assignment to any MHMR of Tarrant County facility as determined by program needs or the Division Chief. May travel to conferences as needed with overnight stay on a minimal basis.
Required EducationBachelor’s Degree
Defined EducationHuman Resources Management, Human Resources Development, Employee & Labor Relations, Business Administration or similar field required
Required ExperienceThree (3) years
Defined ExperienceProgressive HR experience required which should include HR Generalist/Employee Relations experience in all areas of HR Compliance, EEO, FMLA, and ADA. Experience investigating ER matters required.
Required LicenseMust have Human Resources Certification from either SHRM or HRCI
Required Supervisory ExperienceOne (1) year
Testing RequirementsPre-employment tests including drug and TB Screening
As a full-time employee, you are eligible to participate in MHMR’s employee health benefits program. Health benefits eligibility date is the 1st of the month following completion of sixty (60) days of employment. Your eligibility for other benefits, including the 401(a) (including employer match) and tuition reimbursement will take place per company policy.
Please visit the website listed below to apply: